Charleston Uber Accident Attorney
When you or a loved one is injured in an accident with an Uber driver then you may be able to collect compensation for the full extent of your injuries, pain, and suffering. Contact the Charleston Uber accident attorneys at the Max Sparwasser Law Firm, LLC to learn more about your legal options.
Peer-to-peer services such as ridesharing have become increasingly popular in recent years due to affordability. Uber will celebrate its eighth anniversary in 2018, but with the celebration comes a share of controversy. This includes headlines claiming Uber driver assault to serious and fatal car accidents. Unlike taxi drivers, Uber does not employ or rigorously background check its drivers.
If you were involved in a car wreck while riding Lyft, speak to a Lyft accident lawyer.
The Elements of a Car Accident Case
Uber accident claims function much like those of a traditional accident – you must prove someone was liable for your injuries and that you endured measurable harm as a result. If you suffered injuries as an Uber passenger, then you may file a claim against the Uber driver, another driver involved, or both, depending on the circumstances surrounding the accident. Speak to a Charleston car wreck attorney to learn more about what injuries are sustained the most in car wrecks.
There are, however, unique considerations when pursuing an accident claim against an Uber driver. The first involves the nature of an Uber driver’s relationship with the company. The other is deciding how to file a claim – with the rideshare company’s policy for the driver or the driver’s personal coverage. You want to look for a skilled personal injury lawyer in Charleston, SC to help you file your claim.
Uber Car Insurance and Liability Basics
As a condition of hiring, Uber requires all drivers to carry personal car insurance policies that meet or exceed South Carolina’s established minimum amounts of coverage. However, these policies often do not offer liability coverage when a driver is operating his or her vehicle for hire. As a result, Uber provides liability coverage for its drivers in certain situations. For example:
- Drivers must log into their Uber app to take on passengers; during the time they are not logged in, the company does not provide liability coverage. Accidents that occur when an Uber driver is off duty are subject to the driver’s personal policy.
- When a driver has logged into the app but is not actively transporting a passenger, Uber provides liability coverage up to $50,000 per person/per accident, and $100,000 total liability coverage, as well as $25,000 in property damage.
- Once a driver accepts a ride request then Uber provides up to $1 million in liability coverage and property damage.
When an Uber driver causes an accident then your avenue for legal recourse will depend on whether he or she was on “active” duty. Uber shields itself from liability by hiring drivers as independent contractors, not employees, so trying to pursue a claim against the mega-company itself is usually an uphill battle. This may change, however, as laws involving peer-to-peer services evolve.
What to Do After an Uber Accident in Charleston
If you or a loved one recently sustained injuries in an accident involving an Uber driver take the following steps to protect your right to compensation:
- Gather Info. Get contact and insurance information from everyone involved in the accident. If there were witnesses then ask for their contact information.
- Document. If possible, take pictures of the accident scene and property damage to forward to an insurance company or your attorney.
- Call the police. An accident involving an Uber driver merits an official police investigation and initial designation of fault. When providing your statement to a responding police officer, stick to the facts.
- Call us. Our Charleston Uber accident lawyers can help you protect your right to compensation and pursue damages from the party responsible for your injuries.
If you or a loved one suffered an injury at the hands of an Uber driver, then Charleston Uber accident attorney, Max Sparwasser, can help. Contact us to schedule a free initial consultation.
The attorneys at the Max Sparwasser Law Firm, LLC. are experienced in motor vehicle wreck cases. Get legal guidance on your case by speaking to one of our truck crash lawyers, distracted driving attorneys, or DUI accident attorneys today.