Charleston Medical Malpractice Attorney
If you suspect that you or a loved one have been a victim of medical malpractice then contact Charleston medical malpractice attorney Max Sparwasser. The Max Sparwasser Law Firm, LLC represents the rights of medical malpractice victims and fights for the compensation they deserve. Our experienced personal injury attorneys offer free consultations in Charleston.
According to a Johns Hopkins University study, medical negligence is one of the leading causes of death in the United States – preceded only by heart disease and cancer. According to Forbes magazine, insurance companies pay out over $3 billion in medical malpractice payouts every year, at an average of once every 43 minutes. In other words, medical malpractice is more common than you might think.
To learn more about insurance cases, speak to an insurance bad faith attorney.
Basics of Medical Malpractice Claims
While medical malpractice is a common occurrence, it also has a strict legal definition. You cannot, for example, file a claim against your health care provider simply because you were unhappy with your care. A true medical malpractice case requires the following four elements:
- That an official doctor/patient relationship existed. You must establish care with a provider in an office setting to file a malpractice claim. Doctors owe a duty of care to their patients, but not to casual acquaintances.
- Your healthcare provider committed negligence. Negligence occurs in a medical setting when your provider deviates from the established standard of care. Proving negligence requires expert testimony from a professional with similar medical experience and training.
- Your health care provider’s negligence directly led to your injuries. Examples of harm include a delay in essential medical treatment or a worse health outcome than what would have occurred otherwise.
- You suffered harm and incurred damages as the result the provider’s negligence. For example, you have additional medical bills, had to miss time from work, and experienced physical pain and suffering.
Does your case fall under any of these categories? If so, contact a Charleston medical malpractice lawyer for guidance and legal help with your situation.
Most Common Types of Medical Malpractice
There are numerous instances in which a health care provider’s action or inaction may lead to a patient’s injury. However, some types of malpractice are more common than others. Some of the biggest medical mistakes leading to injury include:
- Medication errors. Such mistakes are the most common causes of medical malpractice claims. These errors may involve improper dosage, dispensing the wrong medication in a hospital, giving a medication to a wrong patient, or failing to see a harmful medication interaction.
- Failure to diagnose or delay in diagnosis. A provider may commit negligence when he or she fails to reasonably diagnose a medical condition that another professional would have given the same circumstances.
- Failure to provide informed consent. A health care provider must inform the patient of all the known risks and side effects associated with a procedure. Failing to do so is negligent.
- Treating a medical condition outside an established standard of care.
- Errors in surgery or anesthesia.
Falling victim to one or more of these scenarios could have lifelong effects. Get the compensation that you deserve with the help of a Charleston medical malpractice attorney.
Hospitals in Charleston, South Carolina
|Roper Hospital||316 Calhoun Street, Charleston, SC, 29401||(843) 724-2000|
|Bon Secours St. Francis Hospital||2095 Henry Tecklenburg Drive, Charleston, SC, 29414||(843) 402-1000|
|MUSC Children’s Hospital||165 Ashley Avenue, Charleston, SC, 29425||(843) 792-1414|
|Rutledge Tower Hospital||135 Rutledge Avenue, Charleston, SC, 29425||(843) 792-1414|
|Ashley River Tower||25 Courtenay Drive, Charleston, SC 29425||(843) 792-2300|
|Vibra Hospital of Charleston||1200 Hospital Drive, Mount Pleasant, SC, 29464||(843) 508-8911|
|Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center||108 Bee Street, Charleston, SC, 29401||(843) 577-5011|
|Hospital at the Medical University of South Carolina||96 Jonathan Lucas Street, Charleston, SC, 29425||(843) 792-2300|
What to Do If You Suspect Medical Malpractice
Patients often don’t know if they have been victims of medical malpractice due to the highly specialized and technical nature of medical treatment. However, if you suspect something went wrong or that you may be the victim of provider negligence, contact a Charleston medical malpractice lawyer at the Max Sparwasser Law Firm, LLC.
The Max Sparwasser Law Firm, LLC, treats every medical malpractice case with the care and attention it deserves. If you or a loved one suffered harm at the hands of a health care provider then your first step is to contact us and arrange a free initial consultation. Let Max Sparwasser provide a free review of your legal options. Your case will be handled on a contingency-fee basis, so you only owe legal fees if you win a court judgment or settlement.