Charleston Lyft Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one recently incurred injuries in an accident involving a Lyft driver, you need the assistance of an experienced Charleston Lyft accident attorney. Let the Max Sparwasser Firm, LLC, in Charleston, protect your right to compensation. Contact us to schedule a free case evaluation with one of our Charleston injury attorneys.
Peer-to-peer services dominate virtually every industry, from hospitality to transportation. Ridesharing services, such as Lyft, have become the transportation mode of choice in recent years for many people thanks to their lower relative cost and convenience. Unfortunately, the peer-to-peer model comes with a significant downside: Lyft drivers do not have the same experience, training, and vetting traditional cab company employees have.
Car Accident Basics
A car accident involving a Lyft driver follows a similar procedure to that of a traditional car accident; to collect compensation, you must determine who is at fault for your injuries and the monetary amount of your injuries, including pain and suffering. For a list of the most common injuries sustained in a car wreck, talk to an accident attorney.
If you’re involved in an accident involving a Lyft driver then you may file a claim against his or her personal policy, work policy, or another at-fault driver’s policy – it all depends on the circumstances surrounding your accident. One of the first things you and your attorney will do is determine which policy covers the accident.
Lyft Car Insurance Coverage and Liability
As a precondition to employment, Lyft requires that all drivers have personal car insurance policies that meet or exceed the state’s minimum standards. However, most non-commercial insurance companies exclude coverage when a driver is operating his or her own vehicle as a service for hire. To accommodate this exclusion, Lyft offers liability coverage for its contractors in certain situations. Here are some of the basics:
- Lyft drivers are only on duty when they have logged into the app. Unless he or she has logged in, the company offers no liability coverage. Accidents that occur when a driver is off duty fall under his or her personal policy.
- When a driver has logged into the app but has not accepted a ride request, Lyft provides up to $50,000 per person in liability coverage per accident, up to $100,000 total. Lyft also provides up to $25,000 in property damage.
- When a driver is actively transporting a passenger (accepts a ride request), Lyft provides $1 million in liability coverage per accident, as well as property damage.
When a Lyft driver is at fault for an accident, your insurance claim will depend on whether he or she was actively transporting or off duty. If you are a passenger in a Lyft vehicle and you sustain injuries, you may pursue claims against both Lyft’s insurance policy and another driver’s, assuming they share fault for the accident.
Many car accident victims wonder if they can pursue claims against the ridesharing company itself. However, Lyft shields itself from liability by hiring drivers as independent contractors and not employees. Pursuing a claim against Lyft itself is an uphill battle, but this may change as current lawsuits set legal precedents and laws surrounding ridesharing services.
What Do I Do After a Lyft Accident?
If you or a loved one suffered injuries at the hands of a Lyft driver then you must take the following steps to protect your personal injury claim:
- Gather info. Get contact information for everyone involved. This includes insurance information from the at-fault driver(s), as well as any witness contact information.
- Document. Take pictures of the accident scene, if possible.
- Contact the police. An official police investigation is essential in an accident involving a Lyft driver.
Last, speak to one of the Charleston Lyft accident lawyers at the Max Sparwasser Law Firm, LLC for a free review of your legal options. The firm is committed to helping you pursue compensation for the full extent of your injuries, pain, and suffering. Schedule your free initial consultation today.